728x90

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Prawns with Salted Egg Yolk & Curry Leaves

I am attempting to cook this today. Was searching on the net and saw this easy recipe on YouTube by Derek Yeo:



Derek Yeo's Recipe:

Ingredients
  1. 350 grams of live shrimps
  2. 2 salted egg yolks
  3. half a bowl of chicken stock
  4. butter
  5. curry leaves
  6. bird eye chilli
  7. tapioca flour
  8. egg white
  9. sugar.




Will post pictures after I'm done and give a taste verdict from this video recipe.

Update 3 June 2014:
Okay, I tried Derek's recipe and the taste of the sauce was pretty similar to what I tasted before at Zhi Char stores. Here's how it looked:




However, my prawns was kinda soggy and not crispy at all. I must be doing it wrong. Too much butter?

In addition, it was also too salty, as I had marinated the prawn with soya sauce earlier, and added some salt in the batter before frying it. My bad! Will cut down the sodium next time when fine-tuning.

I did further research and found another video recipe that included evaporated milk into the last bit to thicken the sauce.




Jackie's M Recipe:

  1. Tapioca starch (or cornstarch) - to drench prawns (500g) with
  2. 1 can evaporated milk
  3. 4 salted egg yolks, steamed & mashed
  4. 3 Tbsp butter or ghee
  5. 2 stalks curry leaves
  6. 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  7. pinch of salt
  8. pinch of pepper
  9. 1 tsp chicken stock granules

Will try a combination of these 2 recipes the next time and share the results.

Source: 
Recipe Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1tANM9PPI
His YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmyBADyq15kKBm-as1fo8w

Jackie's Recipe Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwc_Gaz9d8
Update: 25 Oct 2015:

For the 2 recipes above, I am not totally satisfied with the results.

So here's a 3rd recipe that I tried:
http://themeatmen.sg/salted-egg-yolk-prawns/



The texture is really what I wanted to achieve, but it's not tasty enough.
I am thinking of adding Jackie's suggestion "chicken stock granules" and "evaporated milk" at the end for the MeatMen's recipe the next time.

To be updated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment