728x90

Friday, May 8, 2015

Garlic Soy Chicken Recipe From Seonkyoung Longest

There are Korean Fried Chicken Wings Restaurants springing up all over Singapore recently.
"CHICKEN UP", "4 WINGS" and "Kko Kko Nara" are just a few of the current household names.

But it' really kinda expensive to eat Korean Fried Chicken Wings at restaurants frequently (We rack up about S$20 to $60 bucks each time ), so I decided to learn how to replicate the same taste.

I think cost wise, I only ended up spending $4 to $15 per time when I cooked this dish.

First time was more expensive coz I had to buy Mirin and Tempura Flour. Subsequently I did not have to re-buy those items when I cooked. And chicken wings only cost around $2 to $9 from the supermarket.




It's really not that difficult actually. My favorite flavor is "Garlic Soy Chicken Wings" from "Kko Kko Nara". So I hit Google and chanced upon this recipe by Seonkyoung Longest:



I couldn't get the exact tempura flour or soya sauce brand that she recommended. So I used those I could find locally.

After a few attempts at her recipe, in the end, I skipped the tempura flour and simply coated the chicken with a little corn flour before deep frying it. It tasted much lighter and not as "thick". The tempura flour I used was too thick and really tasted like there was too much "flour".  It also made the chicken a bit "rock-hard" and "too crispy".

The best thing that I learned from her recipe is how to make the sauce! It's Delicious! Would Highly recommend you to try it out!

Wonder if its the same sauce they use to make for Pepper Rice. Since it's "Garlic Soy"? Hmmm.. to be tested.

Modified Recipe:
Prep the sauce. Fry the wings. 
Mix it together when you're ready to eat!

Step 1: Prepare the Sweet Garlic Sauce and set aside
(Remember to sift garlic out after boiling the sauce)

Step 2: Marinate the chicken with salt and pepper for about 20 mins

Step 3: Lightly coat the chicken with corn flour before deep frying

Step 4: Only add sauce to fried chicken just when you're about ready to eat it, or it'll get soggy and lose it's crispness.

Sweet Garlic Sauce
    2 Tbs. Finely chopped garlic
    3 Tbs. Soy sauce
    3 Tbs. Sugar
    1/3 cup Mirin





Fried Wings:
    6 Full chicken wings or 2 chicken leg/thighs cut into bite-size pieces
    3 Tbs. Corn Flour
   Salt and pepper to taste



Made this over and over again. Becoming one of our favs!


Research & Sources:
Seonkyoung Longest's Korean Fried Chicken Wings with Sweet Garlic Sauce:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlndZUqDKk4

No comments:

Post a Comment